Wednesday, May 6, 2009

T-minus one week.

One week till departure and malaria med priming begins and final logistics are being settled. We'll be on the African continent for 3 months and then it will be time to reimmerse into the flow of Canadian/western culture. From past travels I've observed that it is not the culture shock of arriving into a foreign country that is most difficult to overcome, but rather the shock of trying to fit back in to Canadian life on return. No matter how much I have tried to prepare myself for this, there always seems to be a difficult transition back into the organisation and routine of western culture. At the very least this may mean that the travel experience has left some sort of lasting impression, which I am sure we will all be left a version of this following our voyage to come.

3 comments:

  1. Rocky. We've never met. I'm Hersh's older brother. I've heard a lot about you over the years. And while reading this post, I thought I was reading the words of my brother. You two must have rubbed off on one another over the years of Vet School. Best wishes in Africa, Jeremy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys! I am so pumped for you and so excited for your adventure. You are likely there by now and I am picturing you guys right now in Kampala. Crazy huh? I love it! You guys are going to be amazing and I can't wait to follow your work through this blog. Keep us all posted.

    Kent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam et al,
    I'm enjoying your blog. Africa is so beautiful and so it seems are the Ugandans. It appears the VWB program is well underway and you'll no doubt contribute a great deal while there. In the end you'll take more away personally than you leave and have memories for a lifetime.
    LOL, Joan

    ReplyDelete