Thursday, May 14, 2009

Arrival and the Driving Lesson

Ahh. Arrival on the other side of the world is always stunning but enjoyable. I love change and thrive on it. I arrived three nights ago and have learned much through my experiences so far. Noteably, Frank, the owner of the guesthouse we are staying at took me for a driving lesson from Entebbe to the capital Kampala and around the capital and back. Anyone who's travelled in busy developing cities has seen the kind of swerving, multiuse, potholed chaos that occurs on all roads. I passed the test with only a knocked (folded at the hinge) mirror and dehydration as battle scars.

After rotating tires and changing a sparkplug, the Suzuki Sidekick is ready for action in SW Uganda's Mbarara district. Pam arrived last night and Rocky arrives tomorrow evening and the three veterineers are off to give something back after receiving so very much in our lives.

The biodiversity here is stunning and demanding of attention. My first morning after only four hours of sleep I awoke to a bird call that I'd never heard before. Seconds later I heard a different call. Then 4, then 7, then dozens of calls that my musically trained mind could not decipher like instruments in an orchestra. I awoke to Uganda... the Pearl of Africa they say.

Time to get schooled in soccer across the street (even though I played for 13 years).

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear about how it's kicking off! Any photos? What do the Ugandan goats look like? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! You are there.....glad to hear you survived Kampala driving...you are brave man!

    ReplyDelete